Thursday, June 26, 2014

Catching up On Professional Journals

March 2014 Teaching Children Mathematics (NCTM)
"Digital Date Equations"

Although this is not a particularly new activity -- use the digits of the date to create an equation -- I have a couple of big take-aways:

  • I rant that teachers of reading and writing need to be readers and writers themselves. If I follow the same logic, then I need to create equations, too.
  • By making some equations of my own, I know how hard it is to keep the digits in order.
  • If we begin the school year making these equations, we will be able to have conversations about order of operations, estimating, mental math, inequalities (and more) all year long instead of during a particular unit of study. Like read aloud, Poetry Friday, and 15 Minutes on Friday blog writing, this seems to be a small but mighty practice.

My equations for 6/24/2014:
(6 ÷ 2) x 4 = (2 + 0 + 1) x 4
(6 + 2 + 4 + 2 +0) = 14
(6 ÷ 24) + (2 x 0) = 1 ÷ 4
6÷ 4 = (2 x 4) + 1 + 0
62 x 4 > 20 x 14

 March 2014 Language Arts (NCTE)
"Addressing CCSS Anchor Standard 10: Text Complexity"

This article includes a really nice chart that summarizes all the ways a text can be complex:

Level of Meaning and Purpose
     Density and Complexity
     Figurative Language
     Text Features and Graphics
Language Conventionality and Clarity
     Standard English and Variations
     Register (Archaic, formal, domain-specific, scholarly)
Knowledge Demands
     Background Knowledge (experiences)
     Prior Knowledge (specialized or technical content knowledge)
     Cultural Knowledge
     Vocabulary Knowledge

ReadWriteThink Text Complexity strategy for primary readers (following this link will take you down a really nice rabbit hole of ReadWriteThink resources for all levels)


  1. Thanks for these links! Here's a question I've been meaning to ask you and others who read this blog:
    In the age of Teachers Pay Teachers ( I have an account), are teachers depending less on professional books and journals now? Are we becoming a packet profession? Just wondering.

  2. That's a great question, Jeff. We tout Teachers Pay Teachers and Pinterest as collaboration, but I am afraid that many are relying on others to do the thinking for them.

  3. Jeff and Mary Lee, I don't think that TPT or Pinterest should replace the real deal, the professional journal, but I'm afraid in this fast-paced, gotta-get-it-done atmosphere, we rely more heavily on these quick answers.
    While I admire your equations, I'm not ready to go there. Too busy trying to get a handle on #clmooc and #TLChallenge.

  4. I'm having Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally flashbacks looking at those equations!

  5. I love this site, and the discussion. I have just begun my summer break (July) from my University post and have a stack of these journals and other readings to get to. You have given me motivation - though I am allergic to math and did not give a glance at your equations. Sorry!


We welcome your contribution to the conversation!